The person who changed my life for the better. Isabella. | INCAE Master Programs

News / Blog

The person who changed my life for the better. Isabella.

December 9th, 2014

Each phase with our firstborn is a learning experience that will benefit the children that come after. 

Before having her I knew what she would be called.

Last week I heard her sing a solo in a concert, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing and hearing.  My little girl had transformed before my eyes and I saw the women she has been becoming every day.

Her performance made most that were present cry, including those that were not family.  It was a magical moment and I thought and felt something unprecedented.

I remember the smell after she was born, the bad nights, kindergarten, her pink pajamas and her braids, her sleeping face, her blond hair, her breath, her being with me and then soon having this marvelous person before me. What a pity because I don’t like to cry in public, but the tears ran down my cheeks, her body vibrated and her voice was one of a women with an intensity that reached everyone. 

It has been years since I wrote about personal themes in my blog. Why today?

Because sometimes, I make exceptions and I know that some (not few) will identify with me with regard to how marvelous it is to share the lives of our children.  I would like for us to reflect on this today. 

Yes, the bad night, the dirty faces, the tantrums, the homework, the diapers, the time investment, effort (not even mentioning the finances) are enormous with these creatures.  But, to raise children is a privilege and a responsibility that transforms us essentially more than making us better, more complete, more tired, worried, wrinkled, gray, stretched—it gives us a more complex life, but a richer one as well.

My little one is growing and I feel like she’s preparing her wings to fly.  She wants to flee the nest, she talks about doing it.  I encourage her, I have always encouraged her, but I confess that the idea of her leaving hurts.

I am grateful to life for the privilege that Isabella has given me by making me a mother.  And this unique and personal reflection is for you to meditate on:

Who is the person that has changed your life? In my case, Isabella.

Have you thanked them?  This is a way of thanking her (even though it will make her blush). 

Do you have children in your life?  Yes, two marvelous ones. Today I spoke of one, some other day I will talk about Diego. 

How much do you enjoy them? How much do you enjoy people who are important in your life? I think that it has been a process, now I enjoy them so much. Experience makes it so that you worry less and enjoy more.  Each phase with our firstborn is a learning experience that will benefit the children that come after. 

Related to:
Vida Universitaria